Do matrix O displays need plugins to show EQ for pc sound?

LK/ELK/VK/PK/OK/MX/GLK/EGLK/GVK/GLT Series

Moderators: Henry, Mods

looking for a good equali
LCD Geek

Do matrix O displays need plugins to show EQ for pc sound?

Post by looking for a good equali »

I read this in a review at tomshardware guide:
"And while the Matrix Orbital display needs plug-ins to create sound spectrum output, the iMon can handle this job without requiring any user effort."

I want an EQ to react to the sounds I make in cubase/nuendo - can any Matrix Orbital display do the job?

*edit - well actually I want the EQ to respond to any sound comming from the PC - I was hoping you guys could tell some solution involving the feeding of a signal through a jack/miniJack -cable directly to the display (or something).

Im also wondering whether the 3 xtra leds come with all matrix orbital displays or just some of them (cause I really want those 3 leds quite badly :D )

thx for ur help
Christian Lorenzen

Tom
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Tom »

Hi Christian,

Thanks for posting on the forum.

Matrix Orbital displays can display almost anything that it is told, so you can get the spectrum analyser using winamp, winamp LCDC winamp plugin and LCDC(display software). You can find information on this at http://forums.lcdc.cc/index.php?showforum=6

The 3 xtra leds come seperately. You would need to purchase them at http://www.matrixorbital.com/product_in ... an-cooling

If you have anymore questions or concerns, please feel free to post them.

Best Regards,

LCD Geek

thx for the awnser - but im still unsure if the display will b able to display the equalizer to any given software playing a sound (cool edit pro, VLC, and so on...) without having loaded some specific plugin to that specific software....

the thing is I use 4-5 different programs to edit sound (im a musician) and I would like the eq to work in all those programs...

thx alot :D

Jon
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Jon »

Ah Cool Edit Pro, doesn't it seem like all the great programs are being bought up by adobe these days?

But what it sounds like your looking for a spectrum analyser that can be configured to monitor the various sound ports, such as wave or Line-In and so on. I don't personally have experiance making plug-ins for LCDC but this seems like it would be possible, as well as quite usefull.

Nick here in sales has a band going as well. You can check his band out here. Do you have a band page up?

I will follow this one for you on the LCDC forums and see what they say.

Thanks for the post.

-=-
Jon

LCD Geek

hey thx for posting that question on that other forum :D.... no I dont have any website up atm - my artist name is M104 mayby u'll hear some of my tunes some day... I really liked the music ur friend Nick's band makes - sounds kinda offspring/greenday'ish with a touch of ska. If they ever want a bit of electro-sound added to their tracks they can mail me at CTLorenzen@gmail.com - I make electronic/ambient/triphop mostly... anywaiz i'll b keeping an eye on that post u made on that forum

thx for helping me out

Nick
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Nick »

thanks for the listen!

I'm still working on a better mix of the first song. I do all the recording right now. I too am using Cubase. My current setup is as follows:

Cubase SX3
Echo Layla 20
Focusrite TrakMaster Pro Microphone Pre-amp

I'm going to be upgrading to the Metric Halo, G5 mac, and a digi 002R

Although completely un related to your question. :)

have a listen
http://www.chaseenergy.com/newmix2.mp3
Nick Hesson
Sales Rep.
Matrix Orbital

LCD Geek

VERY PRO SOUND :D ... only thing wrong (I think) is that the snaredrum needs more hifrequency or less reverb (the reverb'ish sound could b caused by not recording the drum itself properbly)...

your lead singer sings

Nick
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Nick »

thanks for the tips on the snare drum. i will consider it in the next mix i do up. probably tonight :)

are you from calgary?
Nick Hesson
Sales Rep.
Matrix Orbital

LCD Geek

ehm...I dont even know where Calgery is.... but im pretty sure alberta is in US - am I right?

im from Denmark

Nick
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Nick »

hehehe. Calgary, Alberta, Canada! Canadians over here at Matrix Orbital.
Nick Hesson
Sales Rep.
Matrix Orbital

LCD Geek

XD oki...

LCD Geek

I've been looking at the L.I.S. displays - they have that PC sounds eq I was talking about - so I just might buy that display instead :/ sry...
Anyway I still want those 3 bright blue leds - any chance of them working with a L.I.S. display? - I dunno how those 3 leds are attached to the pc or if they are dependant on the matrix orbital software.... mayby it can b connected to the L.I.S. display? here some pictures of the backside of the L.I.S.:

http://www.short-media.com/printcontent ... t=r&id=278 - picture 11,12,13 counting from the top

Nick
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Nick »

I think what you could try doing is having winamp open, using the plugin, and route it to play all "line in". Open up your volume control and under record choose "what you hear" or "stereo mix" depending on your sound card. then all the audio would go through winamp which would then read the audio and put the spectrum on your lcd display?

Jon would this work?
Nick Hesson
Sales Rep.
Matrix Orbital

Jon
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Jon »

I'm not sure if that display will do what you want it to do. From the link you posted the author of that article had trouble even getting the Windows Media player plugin to work, it seemed to work with winamp and that's about it.

I know our display is capable of displaying an EQ for windows sound, I've done a mock spectrum analyser that would just need some code to decipher the various fequency levels of the output sound and it'd be done. But like I said I haven't worked with LCDC so it would probably be an independant program rather than a plugin.

Give me some of your requirements and I'll look into it this weekend and see how long it'd take me to put somethign together.

Edit: We posted at the same time Nick. You might be onto a possible work around, I'll look into that possability as well.

Edit #2: The LED's wouldn't work with the indicator that was in the article. I didn't notice any GPO's on it, so far that feature is unique to the MO displays.
Last edited by Jon on Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nick
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Nick »

Have you checked out http://www.plasticrandom.net/. There are some plugins there for windows media player as well.

and of course www.lcdc.cc/download.htm
Nick Hesson
Sales Rep.
Matrix Orbital