Vista 64 bit driver?

GX and Typhoon hardware, this includes, displays, cables and accessory cards.

Moderator: Mods

Mad_AP
LCD?

Vista 64 bit driver?

Post by Mad_AP »

Hi, I just got the GX installed and am trying to install the Drivercore software. It will not install the driver correctly using the installer on Vista 64 bit. I have to go to the device manager and manually get the driver to install. I then try to run the LCD Defaults Configuration Utility and no devices are found. What am I doing wrong?

I also installed the LCD studio software and it actually posted the welcome message on the display but then I can't get anything else to display..

Please help!
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (29.16 KiB) Viewed 9141 times
Untitled3.jpg
Untitled3.jpg (73.2 KiB) Viewed 9141 times
Untitled2.jpg
Untitled2.jpg (124.11 KiB) Viewed 9141 times

Mad_AP
LCD?

Re: Vista 64 bit driver?

Post by Mad_AP »

got lcdstudio to work, but how can i change the backlight?

Ray
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Ray »

By default when the defaults utility starts all other applications should let go of the device only then will it show up in there. but somehow this doesn't seem to function on your system.

What I want to you to try.

1) Right click on my computer, click manage and head over to services
2) Stop the drivercore service.
3) Now try the gx defaults application.

Does it work then?

Mad_AP
LCD?

Post by Mad_AP »

Still no go with the service off.

I did notice that as soon as I started the defaults utility, LCDInfo stopped working. Btw, what does LCDInfo do?

I restarted the service and DriverCore Manager (drivercoretray) no longer sees the display. To get the display back, I have to uninstall/reinstall the driver.

Ray
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Ray »

Troubleshooting issues like this is never easy when you can't reproduce the error your self. I'll explain all the pieces of the puzzle to you and I hope you'll be able to determine where the error is.

0) The Display plugged in but no drivers loaded, the GX should display the GX logo but doesn't do anything else, the device shows up with a yellow exlamation mark in your device manager. You can fix this by manually loading the driver.

1) The driver is loaded, the driver we chose is the stock microsoft winusb driver we opted for that so we did not had to write our own driver and cause nasty blue screens.

You can verify this is loaded correctly when the display shows up under Matrix Orbital displays in your device manager.

If you have the MCE edition you should also be able to use the remote to mute and unmute the sound (the complete remote should work but mute is easy to test since it changes the icon on your taskbar and well the music mutes)

The GX should still display the static GX logo.

second stage, the drivers are loaded and gx is ready to go

2) Drivercore, You can find the drivercore service by going to the services panel in the control panel and starting the Drivercore service if it is not started.

When drivercore is running and the driver has loaded the GX should display "Display is Idle..." at random places on your display.

Drivercore is the service that allows multiple applications to share the display and it will cycle though all applications connected giving each a couple of seconds to 'do their thing' before going to the next application.

The message is a bit misleading more appropiate would have been 'Display is ready, waiting for applications to connect' We'll fix that for the next release.

At this point your GX is ready for applications to talk to it, we ship one with the driver called lcdinfo but lcdstudio should be able to talk to it at this point.

3) LcdInfo, this is a basic application that shows the clock, mediacenter and cpuload information. LcdInfo is added to the startup item in your Windows start menu, if it is not running or has problems to connect to drivercore you should have the 'display is idle...' jumping around on your display.

4) GX Defaults , this is the defaults utility allowing you to set the background color contrast and bootscreens. Problem is it needs access to the driver loaded in the first step. But DriverCore has that in use most of the time so at start up it asks Drivercore to let go of the device so it can be used to configure the defaults. If Drivercore is unwilling to let it go or the driver is not loaded no displays will show up in this utility.

Please let me know what you are able and unable to do and we'll see what we can do to fix that for you.

Mad_AP
LCD?

Post by Mad_AP »

Ray wrote:Troubleshooting issues like this is never easy when you can't reproduce the error your self. I'll explain all the pieces of the puzzle to you and I hope you'll be able to determine where the error is.

0) The Display plugged in but no drivers loaded, the GX should display the GX logo but doesn't do anything else, the device shows up with a yellow exlamation mark in your device manager. You can fix this by manually loading the driver.

I did this part since the installer did not install the driver.

1) The driver is loaded, the driver we chose is the stock microsoft winusb driver we opted for that so we did not had to write our own driver and cause nasty blue screens.

You can verify this is loaded correctly when the display shows up under Matrix Orbital displays in your device manager.

Confirmed, the driver is appearing correctly.

If you have the MCE edition you should also be able to use the remote to mute and unmute the sound (the complete remote should work but mute is easy to test since it changes the icon on your taskbar and well the music mutes)

The GX should still display the static GX logo.

second stage, the drivers are loaded and gx is ready to go

I do not have the MCE edition, but yes the logo is displaying correct.

2) Drivercore, You can find the drivercore service by going to the services panel in the control panel and starting the Drivercore service if it is not started.

When drivercore is running and the driver has loaded the GX should display "Display is Idle..." at random places on your display.

This is definitely displaying.

Drivercore is the service that allows multiple applications to share the display and it will cycle though all applications connected giving each a couple of seconds to 'do their thing' before going to the next application.

The message is a bit misleading more appropiate would have been 'Display is ready, waiting for applications to connect' We'll fix that for the next release.

At this point your GX is ready for applications to talk to it, we ship one with the driver called lcdinfo but lcdstudio should be able to talk to it at this point.

3) LcdInfo, this is a basic application that shows the clock, mediacenter and cpuload information. LcdInfo is added to the startup item in your Windows start menu, if it is not running or has problems to connect to drivercore you should have the 'display is idle...' jumping around on your display.

LCDInfo is working correctly, I see the clock, mediacenter and cpuload info with changing colors.

4) GX Defaults , this is the defaults utility allowing you to set the background color contrast and bootscreens. Problem is it needs access to the driver loaded in the first step. But DriverCore has that in use most of the time so at start up it asks Drivercore to let go of the device so it can be used to configure the defaults. If Drivercore is unwilling to let it go or the driver is not loaded no displays will show up in this utility.

I cannot get GX Defaults to show the display. I also stopped DriverCore service which resulted in LCDinfo stopping. I have a G15 keyboard, would it be conflicting with the display? Also, in Vista 64, I have DEP turned off and also UAT is off.

Please let me know what you are able and unable to do and we'll see what we can do to fix that for you.
[/b]

Ray
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Ray »

I'll contact by email to run some additional tests.

Mad_AP
LCD?

Post by Mad_AP »

Ray wrote:I'll contact by email to run some additional tests.
Thanks Ray, I will run it tonight. I've been busy with work, but I got your email.

slavearm
LCD Geek

Post by slavearm »

I am having the exact same issue in Vista 64 ultimate.

Ray
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Ray »

Okay I'll post this manual patch till we get a complete new driver package up.

Steps too install:

1) Download the updated WinUsbSharp.zip from here
2) Go to the control panel / Services and stop the DriverCore service.
3) Copy the downloaded WinUsbSharp.dll from the zip to c:\program files\matrix orbital drivercore\"
4) Restart the service.
5) All good :)

This fix will be included in the next update so the nasty manual steps aren't needed anymore. Next update should be there in a couple of weeks.

If you have any questions or need more help, feel free to ask.

LarryC
LCD?

Post by LarryC »

I'm having the same issue of hit and miss communication with LCDStudio (mostly miss) with 32bit Vista Home Premium! Tried your new DriverCore service, but it didn't help. Lcd Defaults config program works fine; able to load any image to GX. LcdInfo program works wonderfully. DiggViewer program connects perfectly. The MCE remote also works great and the LCDInfo program is even displaying WMC activity, although there is some delay.

Here is where I see the issue appear:
Display Wizard in LcdStudio rarely shows list of displays from which to choose. When it does I can select the GX and I then see the Welcome message on the GX LCD screen. I then have good LCDStudio communication with GX. If I close the program and try LCDStudio again, a list of displays is no longer showing and LCDStudio no longer communicates with the GX. A reboot will create the same problem.
Any ideas?

-Larry

Ray wrote:Okay I'll post this manual patch till we get a complete new driver package up.

Steps too install:

1) Download the updated WinUsbSharp.zip from here
2) Go to the control panel / Services and stop the DriverCore service.
3) Copy the downloaded WinUsbSharp.dll from the zip to c:\program files\matrix orbital drivercore"
4) Restart the service.
5) All good :)

This fix will be included in the next update so the nasty manual steps aren't needed anymore. Next update should be there in a couple of weeks.

If you have any questions or need more help, feel free to ask.