Tri-Color Unit

GX and Typhoon hardware, this includes, displays, cables and accessory cards.

Moderator: Mods

licenseduser
LCD?

Tri-Color Unit

Post by licenseduser »

I am considering purchasing the GX Typhoon. The unit I have available to me locally is the Tri-Color. What does this imply? I can change the text and background colors?

Thanks

Ray
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Ray »

We used RGB leds as backlight, allowing you to set the background colour to prettymuch any colour you fancy, the pixels will always be black though.

cipher_nemo
LCD Geek

Post by cipher_nemo »

Ray, on that note, are there any plans on releasing an inverse model of the Tri-Color GX? From the little I've read about how to do this, one could make this on their own if they open up the display and swap the screen or something similar (of course that would void the warranty). Does it have something to do with polarity? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks! :)

Ray
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Ray »

I have heard of plans for a GX based on the Glk19264 for which I have seen a preproduction glk tri-color inverse model bounce around here (actual unit looks nicer though) but it's too early to tell if any of that will make it into any end user GX prodcts.

Replacing the lcd your self would indeed void your warranty, but thats not your biggest problem, the GX display has been custom made to fit in a 5.25" bay so its only 144x38 mm (while regular 240x64 dispays are around 188x65 mm), to hold our board with the lcd Bezel and to run at 3.3 V instead of the regular 5V so finding a tri color inverse that would fit I'd say its near impossible (but love to be proven wrong :) ).

gdn
LCD?

Post by gdn »

can the inverse be done in software to make everything negative?

Ray
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Ray »

In theory you could invert the image by software but it will not look anything like a 'real' inverse display.

punkdown
LCD?

Post by punkdown »

Ray wrote:I have heard of plans for a GX based on the Glk19264 for which I have seen a preproduction glk tri-color inverse model bounce around here (actual unit looks nicer though) but it's too early to tell if any of that will make it into any end user GX prodcts.
God this would be awesome. I've been waiting to start a mod for over a year because I can't find a display to match those found on Pioneer home theatre equipment (orange on black)

Ray
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Ray »

Can't give an ETA but it looks like it will make it into a real product, had a prototype on my desk last week! Gone too quickly again to take somepics/movies of it though :cry: