GX in a 3.5" bay

GX and Typhoon hardware, this includes, displays, cables and accessory cards.

Moderator: Mods

Sentynel
LCD?

GX in a 3.5" bay

Post by Sentynel »

Could the current GX model be modified to fit into a 3.5" (floppy) drive bay, or if not are there plans for one that would? I'm using a Shuttle XPC small form factor case, so I have rather limited drive bays (there's a 5.25" and a 3.5", and I'm using the 5.25" for my optical drive).
Specifically, it's an SP35P2 Pro, and I'm not averse to a bit of modification of the 3.5" bay if required - I can't see myself ever needing to put anything else in the 3.5" bay.

Ray
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Ray »

The current model fits in a 5.25" drive bay so there's no way that will fit into a 3.5" bay the dispaly just is too big no ammount of modding is going to fix that.

We have plans to do a 3.5" bay model but it's too early to tell if that will eventually make it into a real product.

EdwardN
LCD!

Post by EdwardN »

Looks like the floppy drive swing-down cover is the size of a 5 1/4" drive, so with substantial modification you could put a GX in under the dvd drive, but it wouldn't be for the faint of heart. Having said that, I put one in under the cover of my antec nsk-2480...

I also soldered on a 90 degree usb connector to the board to be able to route the cables more effectively for my situation. So many options are possible for modding, just keep your level of skill and comfort in mind.