Why isn't the Typhoon available as a stand alone USB device?

GX and Typhoon hardware, this includes, displays, cables and accessory cards.

Moderator: Mods

NeilF
LCD Geek

Why isn't the Typhoon available as a stand alone USB device?

Post by NeilF »

Out of interest, imagine if the Typhoon was available as a small self contained unit you could just sit on your desk, or the top of the case, which you just plugged into the PC via a rear USB socket?

Why use up a 5.25 bay? What if your PC isn't infront of you? What if your case has a door?

If you could just put the Typhoon on your desk in a nice little self contained unit, imagine how flexible it would be! You could sit it straight below your monitor for example...

Installation? Plug it in a usb socket... Done!

Ray
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Ray »

We would like to produce that kind of thing but the costs of creating an enclosure vs the projected extra sales it would generate makes it just not worth it.

NeilF
LCD Geek

Post by NeilF »

Ray wrote:We would like to produce that kind of thing but the costs of creating an enclosure vs the projected extra sales it would generate makes it just not worth it.
I understand...

The encloser could just be a piece of metal folded over to 60ish degrees which you screw the existing unit into the back of...

Bonn
LCD?

Post by Bonn »

NeilF wrote:
Ray wrote:We would like to produce that kind of thing but the costs of creating an enclosure vs the projected extra sales it would generate makes it just not worth it.
I understand...

The encloser could just be a piece of metal folded over to 60ish degrees which you screw the existing unit into the back of...
Yeah. I am also looking for an external type VFD/LCD for my HTPC. I do hope there will be an accessory which I can purchase for mounting the VFD/LCD.

I believe there are very interested persons would like to place the VFD/LCD infront of their monitor/TV or somewhere which is easy for viewing.

I have seen HTIB from Pionner having a triangular VFD which you can place anywhere on the TV console. Its looks cool though. Do note that since the USB cable is external type too. That makes it an ideal hardware to be used externally.