gx display off after sleep resume on vista 32

GX and Typhoon hardware, this includes, displays, cables and accessory cards.

Moderator: Mods

cammy9r
LCD!

gx display off after sleep resume on vista 32

Post by cammy9r »

Hi, i have installed my gx into another pc which has had a mobo and proc upgrade, all was well with the display in the previous pc.Both are running vista home premium sp1 with .net3.0
Drivers install well and the pc sees the display, i am able to use lcd studio to run my old playlist, everything is good.
However, when the pc goes to sleep (htpc, it does it a lot) everything shuts down as it should even the display backlight. When i resume the pc the gx display does not come back. I hear the usb plug/unplug sounds in the background. If i unplug the gx and plug it back into the same port i get the gx slpash screen and it is visible to the gx config and to lcd studio, a run of the lcd studio wizard and all is back as it should be. Just to note, the display will also work when the pc is rebooted. It will then disappear after sleep resume.

Does this sound more like a vista problem than a gx driver issue? The gx drivers are the same i used on the last pc, Aug 08 pack with firmware.
The other usb devices work after resume, these are keyboard, mouse and ms ir receiver.
I will probably do an os re install as the mobo and processor have been changed since the os was installed originally. :-?

Ray
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Ray »

In all honesty its hard to tell, could be either, the USB driver we use is the standard microsoft WinUsb driver. I have a newer beta version of the driver that does list power managment as one the the 'improved' area's, but its not ready for general distribution just yet, if you want to give this one a try to see if it improves your GX's behaviour send me a PM and i'll package it up for you early next week.

cammy9r
LCD!

Post by cammy9r »

Thanks for that Ray.
I did a re-insttall of vista and then installed the gx drivers and lcd studio 806 but the problem is still there.

cammy9r
LCD!

Post by cammy9r »

The Pc is also back up to .NET Framework3.5 SP1 through windows updates. After system restart get this .NET error "See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.ApplicationException: Could not load layout 'mediacenter' ---> System.ObjectDisposedException: Cannot access a disposed object.
Object name: 'System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream'.
at System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.Write(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
at LibGX2.SlipStream.Write(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 count)
at LibGX2.GXProtocol.WritePacket(GXPacket packet)
at LibGX2.GxProtocolManager.WritePacket(GXPacket packet)
at LibDriverCoreClient.DriverCoreClient.SendSyncMessage(GXPacket message)
at LibDriverCoreClient.DriverCoreClient.GetDefaultBacklight(Int32 displayID)
at LibDriverCoreClient.DCCSession.GetDefaultBackLight(Byte& red, Byte& green, Byte& blue)
at LcdInfo.MceDisplay.RestoreBacklight()
at LayoutEngine.LayoutManager.SetBackColor(Layout layout)
at LayoutEngine.LayoutManager.SetLayout(Layout newLayout)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at LayoutEngine.LayoutManager.SetLayout(Layout newLayout)
at LayoutEngine.LayoutManager.set_Layout(Layout value)
at LcdInfo.MceStdLayoutManager.OnMediaCenterStarted(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at Microsoft.MediaCenter.Samples.MediaState.SessionState.PropertyInitialized(UInt32 flag)
at Microsoft.MediaCenter.Samples.MediaState.GlobalSessionState.SetProperty(MediaStatusPropertyTag tag, ValueVariant& val)
at Microsoft.MediaCenter.Samples.MediaState.EventSink.ReadMMF()
at Microsoft.MediaCenter.Samples.MediaState.EventSink.TimerOnTick(Object obj, EventArgs eArgs)
at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.OnTick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.TimerNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3074 (QFE.050727-3000)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
LcdInfo
Assembly Version: 1.0.0.97
Win32 Version: 1.0.0.97
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Matrix%20Orbital%20DriverCore/LcdInfo.exe
LibDriverCoreClient
Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Matrix%20Orbital%20DriverCore/LibDriverCoreClient.DLL
log4net
Assembly Version: 1.2.10.0
Win32 Version: 1.2.10.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Matrix%20Orbital%20DriverCore/log4net.DLL
System.Configuration
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Xml
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3074 (QFE.050727-3000)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
LcdInfoConfiguration
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Matrix%20Orbital%20DriverCore/LcdInfoConfiguration.DLL
MediaState
Assembly Version: 6.0.6000.0
Win32 Version: 6.0.5600.16384 (vista_rc1.060829-2230)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Matrix%20Orbital%20DriverCore/MediaState.DLL
System.Windows.Forms
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
MemMapFile
Assembly Version: 6.0.6000.0
Win32 Version: 6.0.5600.16384 (vista_rc1.060829-2230)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Matrix%20Orbital%20DriverCore/MemMapFile.DLL
LibGX2
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Matrix%20Orbital%20DriverCore/LibGX2.DLL
LayoutEngine
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Matrix%20Orbital%20DriverCore/LayoutEngine.DLL
FastBitmap
Assembly Version: 2.1.0.805
Win32 Version: 2.1.0.805
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Matrix%20Orbital%20DriverCore/FastBitmap.DLL

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box."

cammy9r
LCD!

Post by cammy9r »

not sure what all that stuff is ^^^?
EDIT: my other pc is using .net 3.5sp1 and it does not get the error message above, so it is not like the MO drivers are incompatible. Computers are weird :-?
Any way i have removed the gx from the antec case and plugged it back into the pc that it was hooked up to before, did all the driver stuff and the display works, s3 resume and all.
So i guess it has to be a bios/mobo issue. OS is freshly installed, chipset drivers and bios all good according to the asus site.
Any hints as to where is should go poking around :o
It has to be some kind of config. Shame really as i do not wish to put the imon junk back in.
Last edited by cammy9r on Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ray
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Ray »

I Should have the updated driver packaged for you later today or at latest tomorrow, should be interesting to see if that improves things for you.

cammy9r
LCD!

Post by cammy9r »

Thanks for that Ray.
Unfortunatley it did not make any difference.
I have tried the display in my other 2 pc and my laptop all vista home premium and everything works out fine. I just will not work with this mobo which is an Asus p5kpl-am. I have installed every update to it i can get with bios thats been out only a few weeks.
The other boards are Asus and have ICH8 or 9 the problem board has ICH7. I have set the BIOS in the p5kpl-am to as close as i can to the others but still no difference. I have hooked up the imon to the problem board and it works, display off when sleeping. On after resume.
I just dont know if it is the board or the os causing the issues, has me completly stumped :grr:

cammy9r
LCD!

Post by cammy9r »

Okay, i put a pci usb 2.0 card into the system and plugged the gx into that. Now the display works fine. Must be some incompatibility with the usb controllers on the board.
However, this was only a test as i have no room in the case/mobo for this card.
So i will puy the gx back where is was. Problem solved :cry: .
I will still run with the beta driver and let you know how i get on.
Thanks Ray. 8)

Edlo
LCD Geek

GX Resume from sleep

Post by Edlo »

Hi Cammy9R

I have been investigating the GX failure on resume from sleep for a while and have determined a requirement for the usb 5 volts to be switched off-on during sleep mode, the GX then restarts on resume from sleep OK.

EDIT:- I have now discovered the above will not work if you have disabled the GX IR in Device Manager 13/03/09

Vista is designed to keep usb ports powered on sleep, I have found no way to overcome this - I have tried ResetHCOnResume (See microsoft Site)

Ray is investigating a resolution via software I have considered Installing a small usb hub powered from the PC PSU 5 volts which loses power on shutdown.

Did your PCI card power off it's usb port on sleep mode can you let me know.

Ray
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Ray »

Another thing you could try is instead of disabling the IR in the device manager, is use the GXDefaults tool to disable the IR all together.

Edlo
LCD Geek

Post by Edlo »

I disabled both of them Ray