Need to explain Windows 7 driver install better

GX and Typhoon hardware, this includes, displays, cables and accessory cards.

Moderator: Mods

winoman
LCD?

Need to explain Windows 7 driver install better

Post by winoman »

Hi -

I just went through a very round about (and at times frustrating) process for installing the device in Windows 7. So OK I'm totally new to Windows 7 and I'm sure the learning curve was part of the issue - but I began by printing and reading your GX upgrade/install guide - and I have to tell you it would have saved me a lot of trouble if the windows 7 install info was there and not just on this forum. Anyway - on to getting this little baby to display something useful...looking forward to it and taking it step by step...

Clark
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Clark »

Hi Winoman,

Official Windows 7 documentation is coming, eventually, until it gets here check out the How To list, created from the best tips of fellow GX users.

~Troy
Troy Clark
Design & Development
Matrix Orbital

winoman
LCD?

Post by winoman »

Thanks Troy - I actually managed to figure it out. I'm only moderatly techno-savy (likely far less then most who diddle with these sorts of things) and I'm new to win 7 (& 64 bit) - but I do like cool (& useful) tech and I could easily see that the GX was for me. So I just built a new system - a first for me - and I'm dealing with a myriad of issues - but its been mostly good. I just felt I was a bit blindsided by the lack of warning that I couldn't just load up the software following the directions given and expect it to work. I figured it out and managed - and I've downloaded and installed LCD studio as well...haven't managed to get it to do anything - but I haven't yet had the time to really sit down in figure it out...maybe in a few weeks (I have a lot on my plate). In the meantime I have a very nice digital clock on my comp - at least until I put it to sleep - as the display doesn't come back after. I know that this is a known problem - just haven't had time to look into it (the fix) yet...but it would be nice if it were just an easily loaded patch or such...

Clark
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Clark »

Hi Winoman,

Good to hear you are up and running; that clock/cpu cycle is nice until one can find the time to really sit down and get into LCD Studio. I see a bug report in our project system for the wake from sleep issue, so it is on the list, but there is no official patch yet. If I remember correctly, the fix is to go into the services section of the task manager and restart DriverCore, I'm running through the install on a new Windows 7 machine today so I'll check it out.

Update: Restarting DriverCore is not enough, from what I've experienced you'll have to cycle power to the display, then restart DriverCore.

~Troy
Troy Clark
Design & Development
Matrix Orbital