Project thinktank

LK/ELK/VK/PK/OK/MX/GLK/EGLK/GVK/GLT Series

Moderators: Henry, Mods

Johnny
LCD Guru

Post by Johnny »

mtbeercan.. what wattage of pelt are you using to return those temperatures? (sorry about the thread hijack)

I'm just about to setup a pelt (watercooled) using the MX222 to control a 120mm fan on a rad. My reservoir passivley cools the water and should stabilise the temperature alot due to the large volume of coolant. So much, in fact, that i'm hoping i can run the system without a fan.

Brain... let us know how you got on. I'm very interested in your results..

ps your rig rocks! :w00t:
I prefer to have a bottle in front of me than a full frontal Labotomy!

Check ma Bad, Invisible, Bail making Self!

Tom
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Tom »

Thanks for the invitation. How did your test go braineater?

braineater
LCD Geek

Post by braineater »

Heh....

Well ,My test was short . :lol:

Them 226 W pelts can drain a deep cycle diesel truck battery in 43 mins.

haha

I'll just hafta wait until I can afford another peltier PSU .No biggie tho......at this point I have started building the heatpipes for the cpu and gpu.These shound dramatically improve the cooling performance when I do get both pelts running.

mtbeercan
LCD!

Post by mtbeercan »

I'm playing with 80 watt pelts, and yeah they can kill a car battery in under a hour. :D One pelt hooked to a car battery needs a 10 amp charger to stay on step. Also I'm not putting in the max volts, they're rated at 15v, I'm only supplying 12v. I picked up a couple 50mm pelts at Jameco to test with. I have a watercooled rad type system and have been toying with the idea of grouting the pelts to the sides of the radiator. The rad would have to be mounted outside the case to keep unwanted heat out of the box. When I get more time to play with them I'll post a update.

braineater
LCD Geek

Post by braineater »

I am typing this on the thinktank.

:D

I have finally purchased a second 6oo watt psu....

I have learned a few things :

1a : cooling.

At the moment , the machine at full power/full load will maintain 36C coolant/44C cpu.....This is at an ambient temp of 24C with a ~9o cfm fan on the heatsink.The pelt hotside runs at 64C.

1b : heatloads.

The submersble pump I am using obviously generates more heat when the liquid is cold (thick).....this is definitly affecting the min temps.

2 : TEM design.

The anti-crush 'spacers' I hand filed/torqued....need a little work.....pelt1 runs great....pelt2 is not as good.........i'll need to re-torque it forsure....hopefully I won't need a complete rebuild of the TEM.

3 : Power consumption.

The machine is currently (pun intended) using 1.15 Kw of electricity (measured) :lol:

----------------------------------------------------------

Once I fix/tweak the TEM......I'll decide whether or not to remove the PSU from submersion.......as the largest single heatload , this will certainly allow lower temps....but I'll have to balance it against increased pump thermal load.....

Testing continues............