Reverse GPO polarity?

LK/ELK/VK/PK/OK/MX/GLK/EGLK/GVK/GLT Series

Moderators: Henry, Mods

Bellerophon
LCD!

Reverse GPO polarity?

Post by Bellerophon »

I have a 12v linear actuator and I plan on running it off of the High power GPO's on an MX5. Once the actuator reaches the end of its stroke I need to reverse the polarity in order to activate the return stroke. How can I go about doing this? I'm assuming I need some sort of relay. Keep in mind I personally have NO experience with relays and such and can barely muddle my way through soldering something when it comes to building electrical stuff.

I'd appreciate any help anyone can provide, especially part lists and "for dummy's diagrams" <:)

Miles
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Miles »

Hello...

Please see the following circuit for an idea on how to approach this. You will not need to use the high powered GPO's for the proposed circuit. Low powered GPO's are sufficient. Depending on how much current your actuator draws, you may even get away with lowel level mosfets. The circuit has two parts. The first part is a level shifter while the second part is a standard CMOS inverter. What this will allow you to do is when you turn the GPO on, the actauator will be activated and when the GPO is turned off, the actuator will have a return stroke.

Miles Y.
Head of Technical Support
Product Manager
Matrix Orbital

Bellerophon
LCD!

Post by Bellerophon »

Ah wonderfull! The actuator does draw 12vdc at 5.6A though.

Bellerophon
LCD!

Post by Bellerophon »

and I have no idea how to decipher that circuit :eyebrow:

Bellerophon
LCD!

Post by Bellerophon »

Here's an option Dtorner over at LCDC.cc proposed. Any thoughts?
*the limit switch is there to stop the forward stroke of the actuator after 2 inches rather than letting it run its full 4 inch stroke.