Using mx4xx to control cpu fan?

LK/ELK/VK/PK/OK/MX/GLK/EGLK/GVK/GLT Series

Moderators: Henry, Mods

cloud_171
LCD?

Using mx4xx to control cpu fan?

Post by cloud_171 »

Hi, I've had the mx400 for 6 months or so but never got to attaching fans to it. I tried attaching my cpu fan to it and it doesn't seem to provide power when it boots up. Is there anything else I have to connect in order for it to work? Also can it handle high wattage fans? I'm planning to get a panaflow that is rated at 4.08 watts @ 86cfm and I defenitly need a fan controller for it. Thanks.

Raquel
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Raquel »

Hi cloud_171,

Thank you for posting on the forum.

If I understand you right, the fan does not automatically turn on when you connect it to the MX400? Does it turn on after sending GPO commands? Please see the manual for commands 86, 87, 192, and particularly 195 which is the state of the GPO upon power up.

The MX400 advanced GPOs are rated at (max) 1A at 12V.

Best Regards,
Raquel Malinis
Design and Development
Matrix Orbital

cloud_171
LCD?

Post by cloud_171 »

Can I move the jumper to 12V to supply more current to a 5V fan without damaging it? I figured my fan will draw 800mA.

Nick
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Nick »

Hi Cloud,

Moving the jumper to the right side makes the headers 5V, 1000mA

If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Regards,
Nick Hesson
Sales Rep.
Matrix Orbital

FrankFuss
LCD Geek

Post by FrankFuss »

You might want to let the Motherboard control the CPU fan depending on the cost of your CPU. I have been using a MX212 to control the CPU fan in my old computer, using the CPU temperature from Motherboard Monitor to control the fan speed, and have not had any problems. In my new computer I have a AMD Athlon 64 FX-60, and for a $1000 chip I do not want to take the chance or void the warranty. However, I do have a new MX212 to control all the case fans. :wink: