Underline cursor / Brightness

LK/ELK/VK/PK/OK/MX/GLK/EGLK/GVK/GLT Series

Moderators: Henry, Mods

Jeroen Vonk
LCD Guru

Underline cursor / Brightness

Post by Jeroen Vonk »

Some character displays have a 5x7 matrix with underline, and some have 5x8 matrix without underline. How do I know (without having to download each manual) which matrix a display has?

The manual of the PK202-24-USB (rev 1.6, PK202-24-USB_140.pdf) says that the command to "set brightness and save" is 145, but shouldn't that be 152?

Raquel
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Raquel »

Hi Jeroen,

With my experience, it seems that only the VFD displays are the ones that vary in character matrix size. If you look at the display itself, you will be able to tell the size and the presence of cursor.

You are right about cmd 152 for set and save brightness, this is faulty in the manual, I will get the technical writer to correct this. Thank you.
Raquel Malinis
Design and Development
Matrix Orbital

Jeroen Vonk
LCD Guru

Post by Jeroen Vonk »

Raquel wrote:With my experience, it seems that only the VFD displays are the ones that vary in character matrix size. If you look at the display itself, you will be able to tell the size and the presence of cursor.
I have a VK202-25 and that one has an underline cursor, however my ancient VK204-25 (my first MO display, rev 1.2 from 1998 but still works like brandnew!) does not have an underline cursor. For my .NET Development Kit I would like to know all characteristics of any display so that's why I'm asking. But if there is no way for the VFD's to tell I will have to read some manuals :-?

Thanx for your answer, now I dont have to look at all LCD's and PLED's :lol:

Nick
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Nick »

The only unit without an underline cursor is the 4x20 VFDs. VFDs have 5x7 dot matrix. LCDs and PLED are 5x8 dot matrix.
Nick Hesson
Sales Rep.
Matrix Orbital

Henry
OMNIPRESENT
OMNIPRESENT

Post by Henry »

{shrug} don't ask.. it's a Noritake thing... you would think when they claim their VFDs are drop in replacement they would keep the pixels the same. But that just might be crazy Canadian logic.
Henry J.
President
Matrix Orbital

Jeroen Vonk
LCD Guru

Post by Jeroen Vonk »

Nick wrote:The only unit without an underline cursor is the 4x20 VFDs. VFDs have 5x7 dot matrix. LCDs and PLED are 5x8 dot matrix.
Henry wrote:{shrug} don't ask.. it's a Noritake thing... you would think when they claim their VFDs are drop in replacement they would keep the pixels the same. But that just might be crazy Canadian logic.
Not just Canadian, I guess some Dutch folks think the same :)

So all LCD's and PLED's displays do not have an underline cursor, some VFD's do. And there is no way of knowing for sure? Basically most 40x2 VFD's do not, most other VFD's do have an underline cursor? Is that correct?

Nick
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Nick »

All PLEDs and LCDs have the underline cursor. Only the 4x20 VFD doesn't have an underline cursor.
Nick Hesson
Sales Rep.
Matrix Orbital