mx4 and mx2 one is 3 times brighter!!

LK/ELK/VK/PK/OK/MX/GLK/EGLK/GVK/GLT Series

Moderators: Henry, Mods

ghost2501
LCD Guru

mx4 and mx2 one is 3 times brighter!!

Post by ghost2501 »

I have been a pround owner of several matrix orbital displays and I have had a mx412 for sometime now. I thought it was pretty cool. and then I bought a mx2.. not sure right now on the exact # but its the same color scheme as the 412 blue back with white text.

my dads mx2 is just about 3x brighter than my mx412 and I feel like crying :oops: can anyone let me know if backlights fade or are dim from factory sometimes? I know its not my settings its just the way it is.

believe it or not the top picture is at 100% bright and 33% contrast on both displays and the picture below is 12% brightness for the mx2 unit to match the 100% on my mx4.

I think its safe to say if I have to adjust one down to 12% to match the other its faded or something. I set the displays side by side to take the pic so you can compare correctly
Attachments
12percent.jpg
12percent.jpg (7.28 KiB) Viewed 5730 times
100percent.jpg
100percent.jpg (7.56 KiB) Viewed 5735 times

FrankFuss
LCD Geek

Post by FrankFuss »

Yes, I noticed the same thing with my new MX212 (Rev 1.6) compared to my old MX212 (Rev 1.4) that is several years old.

Tom
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Tom »

Hi Guys,

The old version may have been a tad brighter because at one point in time, the current going through the backlight leds were set higher. Since there is extra current going through the backlight, you comprise the life of the backlight leds. To save the life of the displays, we have decreased the current going through the, so the unit will have a longer and happy life :P .

I apologize if you are not satified with the brightness compared to the old units, but it is best for the displays in the long run.

Best Regards,

ghost2501
LCD Guru

Post by ghost2501 »

well actually the Dim display is the older display and the newer one I have is the bright one but anyway I figured the old display may be faded from use like you said. I wionder if this one can be repaired with a new backlight. Or am I better of getting rid of this one. Its just not the same anymore looking at my dads bright new model and mine is only 12% as bright.

also I bought both of these displays from previous owners not from a retail store. i was just wondering if you have a warranty program that is just send in your hardware and we fix it or do you have to register with a reciept at time of purchase etc.

I am not trying to take advantage of you guys in any way I just want to know how the warrantys work since I am planing on getting a new one or two displays.

thanks

Nick
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Nick »

I believe what has been done to the new board revisions is an adjustment with the resistors to limit the amount of current being drawn into the backlight.

Is this correct Tom?
Nick Hesson
Sales Rep.
Matrix Orbital

Tom
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Tom »

That is correct Nick. All our units are eligible under a one year warranty. Details on the warranty can be found at http://www.matrixorbital.com/shipping.php . If you email me the serial number on the display, I can check whether it is still under warranty.

Best Regards,