Backlight current

Support for MOC/MOS/MOI/MOU/X-Board/MOP

Moderator: Mods

jeanphe
LCD?

Backlight current

Post by jeanphe »

Hi,
Maybe I have this totally wrong so I'll have my stupid hat besides me just in case;

I want to try out that sick looking MOS-AL162A-XR (red chars on black bg). The appropriate webpage mentions that the backlight is BLACK, and that it sinks 31mA.

How can it be that the backLIGHT is like humm black and use up power? I mean, does those milliamps go to the cosmic gods of dark matter? :evil:

Furthermore I see 'black backlight' in the list of blacklight colors (or lack thereof).

I mean, seriously, whats the difference between a black backlight and any other backlight thats turned off?

Cheers!

Henry
OMNIPRESENT
OMNIPRESENT

Post by Henry »

Saying the backlight is black is just an easy way to desrcibe how the LCD looks. The backlight is red, and goes through a porolizer that is rotated, to invert the light... And yes, black is not a colour, and neither is white.

Now if you prefer, we could tell you there is a mini black hole that sucks in all the light, making it black.
Henry J.
President
Matrix Orbital

Jon
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Jon »

Hi jeanphe,

:x you have angered the dark matter gods with your lack of faith. They will now plunge the world into eternal darkness.

Either that or you caught a typo.. :oops:

So there will be no apocolypse... for now! :evil:

The display in question has a red backlight with an inverted polerizer, which allows the text to appear red, while the background stays dark.

Edit: Posted at the same time. I shoulda gone with the black hole theory.

jeanphe
LCD?

Post by jeanphe »

Ahhhhhh thanks both of you for clearing the confusion for me...

..but I'll act like you never mentioned the polarizer thingy, because that would shatter my dreams of interdimensional mass destruction. :o

I've foolishly fallen for this display's evil lure and will order one from not-so-local distributor HVW Tech right now!

Thanks again!