Any Third-Party library support for Matrix Orbital?

FTDI/Bridgetek EVE2 & EVE3 & EVE4 SPI TFT Series by Matrix Orbital

Moderator: Mods

matts
LCD?

Any Third-Party library support for Matrix Orbital?

Post by matts »

Hi, I'm out looking for alternative solutions to lower the cost of a complex LCD interface. Our existing product uses Amulet Technology's stuff, where we have a custom board using a PSOC5 communicating with the ($300) Amulet IC board that sits on the custom board's pins that then controls the ($$$) Tianma LCD display. The Amulet development kit allows design including button placement, caption fills, graphics, and some event management (e.g. button pressed/button released, switch graphic to "down/up" position). Transparencies, visibility, etc., are all controlled via a simple ASCII protocol. The amulet, however, is slow; pages take seconds to render. On the PSOC5, the management program utilizes codes arriving from the Amulet to assign button meanings, load up the desired button captions, select which can be seen, as well as act on the button presses - command page changes, and so on.

Looking at the matrix programmer's interface, it appears that to use the Matrix EVE display, we'd have to cook up an entire set of behavior libraries, buttons, finger detection, button hold-down timers, ability to swap captions in buttons, load the graphics, render pages, etc., etc., (etc.) - a full time job for someone - so it seems there's got to be someone who's already cooked up a nice set of functions that can be dropped in to a controller (preferably "C" into a STM32F7 type uC) that would then talk with the EVE stuff and minimize the extensive work it's appearing it will take to use the matrix/EVE.

Are there such an animal already made? Does anyone know of a company that's already done some kind of interface work? Know of an experienced contractor? (we are in prelim selection stage)

Matt

Raquel
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Re: Any Third-Party library support for Matrix Orbital?

Post by Raquel »

Hello Matt,

Thank you for posting on the forum.
And thank you for considering our EVE series as alternative for your current project.

You may please find our sample code (and library) here: https://github.com/MatrixOrbital
There are available software tools from Bridgetek: https://brtchip.com/ic-module/toolchains/

Hope these help.

Thank you,
Raquel
Raquel Malinis
Design and Development
Matrix Orbital

Henry
OMNIPRESENT
OMNIPRESENT

Post by Henry »

Henry J.
President
Matrix Orbital

matts
LCD?

Post by matts »

Thanks to both of you, I'll be spending a bit of time looking into your suggested solutions.

Matt

matts
LCD?

Post by matts »

Hi,

What I have here, handed to me for looking at, is a EVE3x-70A-BLH-TPR-F128-VS display. We're looking at ease of development, integration to a STM32F769 type environment, and overall cost - count would be perhaps a hundred/year - so development/maintenance cost will factor heavily - as will longevity.

Taking a look at the Bridgtek design tools, it seems that if one was able to use the EVE designer app, export the code for importing into a STM development environment, this could be useful; however, it's not immediately clear when using the designer app whether it will produce output compatible with the Matrix Orbital EVE3x-70A board, though I suspect it will be if one chooses the right options (target platform) in the designer app to constrain the editing/output to appropriate resolution, features, and so on.

I suppose I could compare the "C" example given by MatrixOrbital with the output and hazard a guess, but I hope a faster answer to the aforementioned question before taking a deeper dive can be obtained.

Thanks in Advance,

Matt