My LCD 2041 Doesn't Work?!?

LK/ELK/VK/PK/OK/MX/GLK/EGLK/GVK/GLT Series

Moderators: Henry, Mods

Jokaell
LCD!

My LCD 2041 Doesn't Work?!?

Post by Jokaell »

I finally got around to getting a power cable made so I could use my LCD 2041. And I had bought a 9 pin female to male cable to connect it with. And the unit turns on and all, it just doesn't communicate with it. Although when it trys to detect it, M and A of the BIOS Display turn to x->x. I dunno what to do since I've never used this before. I have installed LCDC, it just says that there is no connection with it. But I know that's not correct, because I was able to use LCD Studion with it. I just didn't like it because it only let me display 2 lines when I know mine can do 4. If anyone can help it would be great. I'd like to get started with LCDC.

Mat-Moo
LCD Guru

Post by Mat-Moo »

Not quite sure what the x->x and M and A stuff is, but if you know what COM port the screen is attached to, just go into the LCDC configuration screen and select that port, and your screen type. You can then test it to see if it works. Assuming LCDStudio talked to it then your cable must be ok, so LCDC should not have an issue.
## # Mat # ##
LCDC - Drive it to the edge baby!
http://www.lcdc.cc
Matthew@DPS.uk.com
DPS Ltd. (Not MO!)

Jokaell
LCD!

Post by Jokaell »

Bleh, the whole other thing was because it did not like to be connected to com2 I guess. But I am running it fine with LCD Studio. As for LCDC, it continues to tell me that it is unable to connect with com 1. I know that's a load of pigswallow, why would only LCS Studio pick it up and not LCDC? :-?

Edit: Maybe I should note that I am not using a ribbon serial cable. I'm using a rounded one, would that make any difference? Sure seems silly if it does.

Mat-Moo
LCD Guru

Post by Mat-Moo »

I'm not 100% sure how lcdstudio talks to the display, if it runs a driver in the background it may already have the com port assigned so LCDC then can't use it? If there is a LCDStudio service then you could try disabling it...
## # Mat # ##
Matthew@DPS.uk.com
DPS Ltd. (Not MO!)

Miles
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Miles »

Hello...

If you are using the same serial cable that you used to communicate with LCD Studio then it should be ok. I agree with Mat's suggestion to disable LCD Studio because I know if I have AlphaDemo running, I cannot use LCDC at the same time, due to the port assignments.
Miles Y.
Head of Technical Support
Product Manager
Matrix Orbital

Jokaell
LCD!

Post by Jokaell »

I already ha uninstalled it entirely from my computer before I even used LCDC. And it did not work.

Ray
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Ray »

But I know that's not correct, because I was able to use LCD Studion with it. I just didn't like it because it only let me display 2 lines when I know mine can do 4.
Make sure you configure the driver correct, it should work flawlessly with 4 line displays.

Miles
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Miles »

If your still having troubles, try downloading AlphaDemo software from our website in the downloads section and run that. Just to make sure that your unit works correctly.
Miles Y.
Product Manager
Matrix Orbital

Mat-Moo
LCD Guru

Post by Mat-Moo »

What com port is the LCD on, and what Com port is LCDC set to in the Configuration screen?
## # Mat # ##
Matthew@DPS.uk.com
DPS Ltd. (Not MO!)

Jokaell
LCD!

Post by Jokaell »

Whelp, I removed LCD Studio and LCDC and then reformatted and did a disk check. After that, I took up Miles suggestion about downloading Alpha Demo to check it out, and all was well until I went to adjust contrast and the screen went blank and now I am unable to send anything to it through the program so far. The only thing I can do is turn the backlight on and off. This is getting stupid, I bought this for cool factor, not for frusteration. I still don't see why it worked fine through one program and not through another. And it is connected through com port 1.

Miles
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Miles »

now you can't turn the contrast up/down.....?
Miles Y.
Product Manager
Matrix Orbital

Jokaell
LCD!

Post by Jokaell »

Haha, I fixed it all, no worries. The serial display works like it is supposed to now. Thanks though.

Miles
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Miles »

Do you mind telling me what the problem was?
Miles Y.
Product Manager
Matrix Orbital

Jokaell
LCD!

Post by Jokaell »

It was just dumb stuff. I had taken both programs off of my computer and defragged/dsk checked and then downloaded LCDC again and installed it and it worked perfectly. Just some dumb thing I'm sure.

Miles
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Miles »

I'm glad to hear everything worked fine...Enjoy!!!
Miles Y.
Product Manager
Matrix Orbital