Linux?

LK/ELK/VK/PK/OK/MX/GLK/EGLK/GVK/GLT Series

Moderators: Henry, Mods

archimede
LCD?

Linux?

Post by archimede »

Hello, i'm running Linux kernel 2.4.22-(ac4) and i own an mx212.

The first thing that was reassuring was to see the panel light up on boot.

It took me some time to find out that the included usblcd driver in my kernel wasn't meant for the matrix orbital...
You actually have to enable generic usb-serial converter or something of the sort, and apply to it a patch!
I've been able (after long hours) to install a driver for this!! The diff patch (the one for usbserial and ftdi_sio) works only when these are chosen as modules in the kernel confiiguration menu..
->I finally got a /dev/usb/tts/0
(even if it says unrecognized device on boot or something of the such) the modules load fine afterwards and creates the device.

I've then investigated both lcdproc 0.4.3 and lcd4linux as software.

I've been able to get output to the lcd panel with the 1st, eventhough its very garbled.
Changing the "size" to 20*16 in the driver options gives me the best results... I can tell Cpu Mem etc...
I've left the settings for the keys as default, and things happen when i press them, but prolly because of the size problem its garbled and i can't say whats happening.

With the later, lcd4linux, no success at all...

Anyone else out there using linux and one of these panels?
Any advice?

Cheers and happy moding :D
Last edited by archimede on Fri Oct 03, 2003 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

archimede
LCD?

Post by archimede »

Yay!

Just switched to lcdproc 0.4.4 CVS and and don't get anymore garble, screens refresh fine.
lcdproc works good!

<:)

now i've got to install bandwidth monitoring with lcdproc. i've tried lcdnet but it only works on 4 lines ---

to be continued...

archimede
LCD?

Post by archimede »

Playing with lcdnet's source code is very easy...

i knew nothing about LCDd specs, but it was easy to figure out how to get rid of the title lines, and replacing them by lines 3 & 4...

Now i would like the blue light on it to be dimmer... when i adjust the brightness, the blacklight is either ON (settings 1-255) or OFF (setting 0) but nothing in between...

to be continued....

wayn3
LCD?

Post by wayn3 »

archimede wrote:Playing with lcdnet's source code is very easy...
Now i would like the blue light on it to be dimmer... when i adjust the brightness, the blacklight is either ON (settings 1-255) or OFF (setting 0) but nothing in between...
Try sending messages to the LCdproc mailing list: lcdproc at lists.omnipotent.net. A lot fo this stuff has been covered in the past and can be found in the archives: http://lists.omnipotent.net/pipermail/lcdproc/ I usually use Google as a tool to search for past articles.

You'll probably have to play with the contrast as well as the brightness to get the settings to your liking.

Wayn3