Information for UK'ers Import duties

Take a load off and chat!

Moderators: Henry, Mods

DeeCo
LCD?

Post by DeeCo »

Just be aware of the import duties to be paid on the Matrix LCDs.

I purchased 3x LK204-25-C with all leads and covers, hoping to keep the shipment costs down to a minimum, rather than spend $19usd per item, instead it cost $28usd, fair compromise :grin:

4 days later they arrived, i had One big smile on my face, until the UPS man said "that'll be

Henry
OMNIPRESENT
OMNIPRESENT

Post by Henry »

We have been looking into this and there is nothing we can do. The tax you get hit with is VAT and a import tax I belive, which is around 17%. We are going to see if we can lower shipping costs even more to make it more cost effective.
Henry J.
President
Matrix Orbital

DeeCo
LCD?

Post by DeeCo »

There is one way round it i suppose, Send it to a friend in Canada, who then post it onto me and Bypass the customs :smile:

I wasnt trying to put peeps off buying from you, just informing others to be aware of the British customs.

Great product by the way :grin:

Henry
OMNIPRESENT
OMNIPRESENT

Post by Henry »

Don't worry, I know :smile: I wish there was something more we could do but there is not with out us braking the law, and that we do not want. And you do have a good idea. Send it as a present :grin:
Henry J.
President
Matrix Orbital

gordy_hand
LCD Guru

Post by gordy_hand »

There is no income tax on uk imports of pc stuff its all vat at 17.5% . The only way round it is to post it as a present :sad:

Henry
OMNIPRESENT
OMNIPRESENT

Post by Henry »

Sorry, yes VAT...
Henry J.
President
Matrix Orbital

Zmaster2k
LCD!

Post by Zmaster2k »

so your telling me that the ups guy is gonna ask for money from me?

are you quite mad? i just spent

Henry
OMNIPRESENT
OMNIPRESENT

Post by Henry »

Hi,

What you will be asked to pay is a import tax imposed by your government. In the UK it is about 17.5%, other countries can go as high at 30%. There is nothing we can do about, nor can be charge it before hand and make it part of the total. Some times you can get this money back from your governemnt by doing paper work, but I cannot give you any specific details.
Henry J.
President
Matrix Orbital

Zmaster2k
LCD!

Post by Zmaster2k »

oh well i suppose i am buying a top quality product from a top quality company :smile:;)

gordy_hand
LCD Guru

Post by gordy_hand »

Some times you can get this money back from your governemnt by doing paper work, but I cannot give you any specific details.
Its called creative accounting :grin: :grin:
Gordy_Hand

Henry
OMNIPRESENT
OMNIPRESENT

Post by Henry »

Its called creative accounting :grin: :grin:
HAHAHAHAHA.... yes, it sure is :grin:
Henry J.
President
Matrix Orbital

specialk
LCD Guru

Post by specialk »

Does the US impose any sort of tax or tariff on imports? The only thing I've ever gotten from overseas was a VCD from Hong Kong but the parcel was labeled as being a gift (bought it off ebay). I wasn't charged a tax then but if it was merchandise would I have been charge a fee?

-special [k]

Henry
OMNIPRESENT
OMNIPRESENT

Post by Henry »

I know Canada and the US have the free trade agreement, so no taxes between us two. But I'm sure importing from Asia there will be some kind of tax... but I'm not 100% sure though.
Henry J.
President
Matrix Orbital

CrOaKeR
LCD?

Post by CrOaKeR »

heh heh, If you pay for me to come to Canada I will do some lcd running for ya, tee hee:-)

Whoosh
LCD?

Post by Whoosh »

Just wondering, how about including a pro forma invoice that would state 'samples' with a $0 value ? That would do away with both VAT and importtax ;-)

Best regards