MX2 Advance Gpo Fan Startup

LK/ELK/VK/PK/OK/MX/GLK/EGLK/GVK/GLT Series

Moderators: Henry, Mods

nickp
LCD?

MX2 Advance Gpo Fan Startup

Post by nickp »

Hi,
I just started to use my MX2 agpo digital fan buss for my cpu and have a question. It works fine except that the fan does not start until lcd program starts running. Also the lcd backlight does not power up until usb is up and running. This leaves the system with no fan for a while and if the system was to hang on startup the cpu would cook. I have the agpo setup to start and stop at 100% with an min of 30 pwm. Do I have a setup problem? Any help would be great
Thanks,
Nick

Miles
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Miles »

There is actually two steps to produce the wanted outcome...

1) You must solder the jumper pad next to where the unmodified power is applied (just above and to the right of the white connector).

2)To remember GPO status on start up you must enter the following raw commands in LCDC. You must include the two pound signs before every command to denote decimal. The last command may be from 0-255 as this is your PWM fan control. You can enter these raw commands in the text section of LCDC.

[##254][##195][##GPO#][##255]

Once LCDC starts up it will set the GPO's to default values...8)
Last edited by Miles on Fri Aug 15, 2003 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Miles Y.
Head of Technical Support
Product Manager
Matrix Orbital

nickp
LCD?

Post by nickp »

Henry,
Thanks for the quick response. I am wondering why my Dad's last rev Mx2 backlight comes on as soon as power is applied. It does not wait until the usb port has been configured. Has a change been made between the two revisions?
Thanks,
Nick

nickp
LCD?

Post by nickp »

Miles,
Sorry for the wrong name.
Nick

Miles
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Miles »

Your Dad probably has revision 1.0 to where you have rev 1.4... :)
Miles Y.
Product Manager
Matrix Orbital

nickp
LCD?

Post by nickp »

Miles,
I belive you are correct about the version numbers. Is this difference in power up known and expected?
Thanks,
Nick

Miles
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Miles »

yes..!
Miles Y.
Product Manager
Matrix Orbital

nickp
LCD?

Post by nickp »

Thank you, I will try the two steps you outlined.

Miles
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Miles »

Let me know how you make out...! :D
Miles Y.
Product Manager
Matrix Orbital

nickp
LCD?

Post by nickp »

Made some progress. Joining the jumpers now turns on the display as soon as power is applied. I have tried to put the gpo string, [##254][##195][##GPO1][##255], into an on-start event, a screen, and in the bootup screen. The fan still only starts once LCDC is running not at MX2 power up.

Mat-Moo
LCD Guru

Post by Mat-Moo »

[##gp01] should be a number 1,2,3 depending on which gpo you want, e.g. (LCDC v1.05.26+ only) [##254,195,1,255] would set GPO 1 to max speed on boot. Pre 1.05.26=[##254][##195][##1][##255]
## # Mat # ##
LCDC - Drive it to the edge baby!
http://www.lcdc.cc
Matthew@DPS.uk.com
DPS Ltd. (Not MO!)

Miles
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Miles »

Thanks Mat for clarifying that for me !!! :D
Miles Y.
Product Manager
Matrix Orbital

nickp
LCD?

Post by nickp »

Hey folks,
After trying many different software setups I gave up. Still unable to get the fans started until LCDC software starts. Maybe someone else can find a solution.
Nick

Cliff Watson
LCD?

Post by Cliff Watson »

nickp wrote:Hey folks,
After trying many different software setups I gave up. Still unable to get the fans started until LCDC software starts. Maybe someone else can find a solution.
Nick
Nick,

I've not been able to find a solution either.

My case fan does the same thing when booting from a power off condition. I would never trust this fan control for CPU cooling.

When power is applied to boot the computer the case fan tries to start and runs for about 1 second and then shuts down until LCDC is loaded and operational. At that time to fan speed goes to the % set in LCDC.
Best Regards, Cliff

Miles
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Miles »

Assuming you have made the correct solder jump and the fan you want powered up is fan #1, you must load the following string in LCDC: [##254][##195][##1][##255]. You must enter the configure /test section and complete the appropriate infromation. Once that is completed, go to "test display" and in the text column enter the string and send. Let me know how you make out...I tried it at the office once again and it works as expected... :D
Miles Y.
Product Manager
Matrix Orbital