Newbie Questions

LK/ELK/VK/PK/OK/MX/GLK/EGLK/GVK/GLT Series

Moderators: Henry, Mods

Punkychan
LCD?

Newbie Questions

Post by Punkychan »

Hello..a newbie here..
First of all I've got some (maybe stupid ot funny ) questions.My MX 422 is only on the way and seems that I can't wait to go head with my project, I'd like to know about connections of the LCD module.It's usb , so is it self powered ? or do I have to connect to some sort of power supply.I don't intend to connect any fans ot whatsoever, just that modules and maybe later would like to connect some LEDs as indicators.Can I connect those leds directly to the gpos or do I need a resisstor ?If I do have to connect the module to some kind of powers supply, where do I connect it ? The 12V 4 pin molex or the floppy power supply ? Sorry to ask this stupid question but I don't want to ' burn' my lcd...can't wait for it to arrive.Thanks.

Tyler
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Tyler »

well as far as i know but dont quote me on this. your usb supplys yoru power form your computer. as for the otehr questions you will have to wait for henry miles or tom to reply to this post. hope thats helps
Matrix Orbital: Graphical Division

Tom
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Tom »

Good news for you!!! :D You don't have to use any external power unless you want to run the high power GPOs. The LCD is powered through the USB cable. Just make sure you installed your drivers properly, and it will work fine. As for your LEDs, there are headers specially made for LEDs, and it's as easy as just connecting them up without any resistors. You can mount the LEDs on your computer case too, so they make your case look even nicer. The LED's are found at the link below. If you have anymore questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

http://www.matrixorbital.com/pages/acce ... sp?CatID=2

Punkychan
LCD?

Post by Punkychan »

Thanks...I'll start working for the templates right away.And whenit's ready and arrived I'll post some pics.. :P

Johnny
LCD Guru

Post by Johnny »

Quick question that might be important. I dont know this product but i assume its the same or very similar in respect of GPOs to the MX222?

Is it not true that only GPOs 4,5,6 (low powered) have resistance and allow direct connection of LEDs as the resistance is already in place? and 1,2,3 have no resistance? I'm thinking this because if this product is the same as the MX222, if he connects his LEDs to GPOs 1,2 or 3, even at 5V, will it eventually damage the LED? assuming these are standard 3.3V LEDs?
I prefer to have a bottle in front of me than a full frontal Labotomy!

Check ma Bad, Invisible, Bail making Self!

Punkychan
LCD?

Post by Punkychan »

Yeah, agree with you...that worries me......reply please....

Miles
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Miles »

The MX422 actually has 4 high powered GPO's rather than 3 compared to that of the MX222. Therefore on the MX422, the low powered GPO's are labeled as GPO 5,6,7. You can still use the LED Indicator, as the connection is the same but the GPO numbers are different. If you were to use the high powered GPO's to be configured for low powered GPO's, you must have a current limiting resistor for your LED's. Depending on the LED's you use, your current limiting resistor value needs to be calculated. :D
Miles Y.
Head of Technical Support
Product Manager
Matrix Orbital

Punkychan
LCD?

Post by Punkychan »

Great !! Thanks for the quick reply...gotta start workin......