LM044L Parallel display question

LK/ELK/VK/PK/OK/MX/GLK/EGLK/GVK/GLT Series

Moderators: Henry, Mods

DrDevice
LCD?

Post by DrDevice »

Has anyone experimented with an LM044L 20x4 LCD display unit? It's equipped with the ubiquitous HD44780 chip but I'll be darned if I can get the silly thing to display anything but a blank line, a line of blocks, another blank line and a line of solid blocks.

Tried the LCD unit with LCD Smartie 5 and LCDCenter 2 and both have the same result.

Julian
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Julian »

Hey genius, look at the title bar of where you are, MATRIX ORBITAL MAKER OF SERIAL INTERFACE DISPLAYS!
THIS IS THE MATRIX ORBITAL FROUM!

Have you heard of this company before? they produce, as there webpage would suggest, SERIAL displays.
So basicly what i am saying is, what are you doing on this forum exactly?
SHHEEEEEESH!

DrDevice
LCD?

Post by DrDevice »

<p>
Actually, I do know that.
<p>
I also know that:
<ol>
<li> I read through the other forums on this site which contained questions about such things as the HD44780 chip (used on parallel displays) and </li>
<li> those questions were referred to this, the developers forum. </li>
<li> Also, I thought that if I had inadvertently posted to a forum where such a message did not belong it would be moderated down and I'd recieve a polite message telling me so - instead of getting the equivalent of a newsgroup flame from someone such as you</li>
</ol>

Creepy
LCD?

Post by Creepy »

If you get one line full of blocks, one blank, one full, and one blank: that is correct. Your LCD is waiting to be initialized.

The LCD needs to be initialized by the software (smartie, LCDCenter, LCDInf etc.)

Make sure your lpt port is set to ECP, and adress $378, and you should have no problems. You could also try my program (LCDInf http://www.bosselaar.net/lcd ) to see if that will display anything.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Creepy on 2002-02-11 11:23 ]</font>

specialk
LCD Guru

Post by specialk »

Newratik, stfu, you don't have to be such a dick just because he asked a question about a parallel LCD. If you are not going to help, then don't complain to him.

Check and double check that your connection is correct: http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/ ... ction.html
As was mentioned, it is waiting for initialization, so either it is wired incorrectly or the software is not communicating with it correctly. Good luck!

-special [k]

Henry
OMNIPRESENT
OMNIPRESENT

Post by Henry »

DrDevice: You must relize that this is a Matrix Orbital forum. As TheCeeseMan put it:

"Wow! Asking how to wire a parallel LCD on MO's forum, that's a bit like walking into a church and asking the vicar which knife he'd choose if he were taking part in a ritual sacrifice to envoke the spirit of some long past demon... "

We have this forum up for our customers or potential customers that require help with MO serial displays. So it might be in poor taste asking for something like that here.

specialk and Creepy: Thank you for anwsering.
Henry J.
President
Matrix Orbital

DrDevice
LCD?

Post by DrDevice »

Thank you all for your replies.
<p>
I didn't realize this was an MO-only forum.

Cheese
Bit-Tech.net
Bit-Tech.net

Post by Cheese »

As TheCeeseMan put it:...
lol! You quoted me! Umm let it be known that I helped the devil cultist pick his knife last time too... never been able to stop myself helping when people ask :wink:

Cheers,

r.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TheCheeseMan on 2002-02-12 09:54 ]</font>