USB Drivers V2.0 - how to get them working?

LK/ELK/VK/PK/OK/MX/GLK/EGLK/GVK/GLT Series

Moderators: Henry, Mods

Thisisme
LCD?

USB Drivers V2.0 - how to get them working?

Post by Thisisme »

Hi,

after getting Blue screens because of ftser2k.sys, I checked my drivers and they are very old (dated 2004).
According to the Maxtrix Orbital web site, the drivers V1.4 are the latest? Because these are dated 2004...

Then I tried to install the V2.00.00 drivers from FTDI's website. Didn't work, because these drivers could not find my MX6 (or any other MO stuff) in my system :(

What I can do to use the new V2.0 drivers (the old V1.4 ones from 2004 do not work flawlessly) ??

Any help is appreciated!

Jon
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Jon »

Alright, try this method:

1. Go to your device manager and find the "Matrix Orbital MX2/MX3/MX6 USB Driver (COM X)"
2. Right click on the device and go to properties
3. Click on update driver
4. Click on "Dispaly a list of the known drivers for this device so that I can choose a specific driver"
5. Click 'Have Disk'
6. Click 'Browse' and find the directory where you unzipped the "CDM 2.00" drivers
7. Click ok
8. Select "USB Serial Port"
9. Click ok on the warning
10. It will ask you to restart your computer (although it should work without a restart)

Alternatively, you could try to just update the "ftser2k.sys" to do this after you have switched to the FTDI driver, go through the steps above, but when you are on the "Select Device Driver" screen, if the "Matrix Orbital MX2/MX3/MX6 USB Driver" comes up in the device selection, select it then click next and when it prompts you for the location of the files, set it to the "CDM 2.00" directory instead of the 1.4 driver location.

Please let me know if this works for you.

Thisisme
LCD?

Post by Thisisme »

Dear Jon,

tried it - and got a Blue Screen when the systems tried to load the v2.0 FTDIBUS driver... So I booted WinXP in safe mode and installed the v2.0 driver from there.

Why Matrix Orbital is making it so complicated to use the V2.0 drivers??

A simple setup or driver refresh program would be a much better solution.
Are you planning to release something in this manner soon?

Jeroen Vonk
LCD Guru

Post by Jeroen Vonk »

Thisisme wrote:tried it - and got a Blue Screen when the systems tried to load the v2.0 FTDIBUS driver... So I booted WinXP in safe mode and installed the v2.0 driver from there.
I modified the inf files of the drivers, and installation on several systems was painless. If you want, you can download the drivers here: Modified Matrix Orbital 2.0 Drivers (32 bit)

Please note, these drivers work great for me, but I don't know if they work on most systems. Also, these drivers are not supported by Matrix Orbital, so don't blame them if something goes wrong :) I tried these modified drivers on 3 different machines with no problems whatsoever. (2 of them had the 1.4 installed)

Anyway, here are the installation instructions if you already have the old drivers installed:

1. Go to the Device Manager
2. Uninstall Matrix Orbital device from the "Ports" section
3. Uninstall Matrix Orbital USB driver from "Universal Serial Bus" section
4. Disconnect the USB display
5. Reconnect USB display
6. "Found New Hardware Wizard" will appear, do not use Windows Update
7. Select "Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)"
8. Select the directory where you extracted the driver. Windows will tell you the drivers aren't signed (which is true, just ignore the message and install the drivers anyway.)
9. Another "Found New Hardware Wizard" will appear, this time for the "USB Serial Port", repeat steps 6 to 8.
10. Display should now work with the new 2.0 drivers

Hope it works for you.....

Jon
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Jon »

Thanks Jeroen :D