DS1820 AND DS18S20 TEMP PROBES whats the difference?

LK/ELK/VK/PK/OK/MX/GLK/EGLK/GVK/GLT Series

Moderators: Henry, Mods

ghost2501
LCD Guru

DS1820 AND DS18S20 TEMP PROBES whats the difference?

Post by ghost2501 »

Hello I have several DS1820 sensors and I assume the probes that you buy from Matrix Orbital (they are all in my pc so I cant look) are the DS18S20 there is an "S" in the middle of the name that is the difference.

I have made several probes using these and they seem to work just fine I was wondering what the difference was if any.

ghost2501
LCD Guru

Post by ghost2501 »

Just found out that they no longer make the version I have DS1820 I see that it has a 500ms max time vs the 750ms max time of the DS18S20. So should I hold onto theese babies for a special build because they are more accurate or does it matter with the MO displays?

FROM MANUFACTURERS WEBSITE: THE DIFFERENCES

Architecture: The DS18S20 uses a bandgap temperature sensing architecture rather than the dual-oscillator architecture used by the DS1820. This architectural difference is invisible to the user.
Specification Differences: The primary specification difference between the two parts is the temperature conversion time: DS1820 = 500ms (max) and DS18S20 = 750ms (max).

Software Compatibility: The DS18S20 is software compatible with the DS1820 in most applications.

Clark
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Clark »

Hi Ghost,

Thanks for the question; it definitely looks like you've done your research when it comes to temperature sensors and thermal coupling. From the data you found on the manufacturers website, it would appear that there is little difference between the two. The 'S' type may be slightly slower, but I would hope there may be benefits in other areas, such as accuracy. However, ultimately the probes will depend on the software that runs them for both speed and accuracy. To that end you may want to contact the vendor of your LCD software; for LCDC try Mat-D-Rat (Matthew@dps.uk.com). At any rate, I am going to check out the newest sensors that we have in production, and if I can, test out any differences there may be with respect to the older style sometime this week. As soon as I've got more info, I'll post it.

Thanks,

Troy
Troy Clark
Design & Development
Matrix Orbital

ghost2501
LCD Guru

Post by ghost2501 »

you might want to try some artic silver adhesive or some other thermal adhesive if you plan on testing them with other than air. I made another post somewhere but I am going to do the same thing you are but when I am done I will use some artic silver instead of regular epoxy.

Basically I was thinking if you guys tried it you could at least suggest it since people mounting a sensor may not know about it and it was suggested years ago here to try regualr epoxy or superglue. If you guys at MO started using it or tried it you could officially tell people its the best way to go for permaneant accurate mounting of the sensors. It only costs 5-10$ and that can be the same or less than some epoxy someone might but at a store except its made specifically for heat transfer so you will get better results and you may not make such a mess as with super glue or epoxy. Also I fear straight epoxy may not even be that good for it over time depending where you mount it, CPU Graphics card, heatsinks etc.