Matrix Orbital LK204-25 Rev 1.23 (Serial Model) To VFD2041

LK/ELK/VK/PK/OK/MX/GLK/EGLK/GVK/GLT Series

Moderators: Henry, Mods

110220Volts
LCD!

Matrix Orbital LK204-25 Rev 1.23 (Serial Model) To VFD2041

Post by 110220Volts »

I have kinda a strange question for the Matrix Orbital Team :) I have a MO LK204-25 Rev 1.23 LCD Display and I just picked up a VFD2041 on eBay for $10 (Both displays work fine) The VFD is a VPT model though. I was wondering if it would be possible for me to but the Noritake VFD on the LK Serial board and the LCD on the VFD serial board? I am very good at soldering so I can probably do the soldering part fine, I just want to know if it would work (I noticed on the back of each serial board it says the other model so I don't see why it would not work but what do I know?) I also know this will void any waranties I have with these displays Thanks

My reason for wanting to do this is because I wanted more GPO's + a keypad interface + I could not afford a new display

Raquel
Matrix Orbital
Matrix Orbital

Post by Raquel »

Hello 110220Volts,

Thanks for your post.

Yes, you are right about being able to pair up a different display in one 'general' board, where one of 3 possible displays (LCD, VFD and PLED) can be connected to the same PCB serial board (hence the silkscreen on the PCB board). This eases the manufacturabilty.

Thing is, the firmware that gets programmed on the MCU depends on what display goes on the board which means some functionalities / features that you see on the LCD will not be available for when you put on a VFD. What I mean are those regarding brightness, contrast and backlight. If these do not matter to you, then I say go ahead give it a try.

The fact that your VFD2041 is a -VPT does not matter when you pair up you VFD display to your LK204-25 board.

Thanks for recognizing the warranty issues, and good luck on your venture.

Thanks,
Raquel Malinis
Design and Development
Matrix Orbital