External install ideas

LK/ELK/VK/PK/OK/MX/GLK/EGLK/GVK/GLT Series

Moderators: Henry, Mods

birdman
LCD?

Post by birdman »

I have LK204-25-PC looking for some external install ideas. Can't give up 2 bays on my new case. I bought this 2 months ago and just now getting around to installing it.

CyPher
LCD Guru

Post by CyPher »

well, you dont have to give up two of your main drive bays, depending on what case you have....

check out this article on how i mounted the display in my lian-li pc 68

http://www.blagged-hardware.net/content ... ntrol.html

AW3K
LCD!

Post by AW3K »

this is my external install :smile:

Some of you might have seen this on bit-tech but for those of you who havn't here it is .

Here's my LCD and stand, as you can see it is a twist on the 55p photo frame :grin: .

thanks for letting me use your logos bit-tech and MO, a nice little advert for ya

i created the photo in photoshop and printed it out photo quality.

looks nice :grin:

on this one you can see the various GPO's

also the mounting bolts and nuts are made for radio controlled cars but hey they fit :smile:

they are:

Schumacher Speed Pack U1546H M3 Caphead Bolts x2
Schumacher Speed Pack U1547I M3 Nuts x1
Schumacher Speed Pack U1548J M3 Nylon Washers x1

please tell us what you think :smile:

Working on a completly different way of mounting my 2nd LCD for my Lian-Li :grin: Watch This Space

Later

AW3K

babber
LCD!

Post by babber »

I have an external display with buttons. The same cable also carries power. See here for details:-

http://mysite.freeserve.com/winamp_remote

Babber

WhyPush
LCD Geek

Post by WhyPush »

Nice Job, Blabber! I am planning on something similar, but am also trying to have to option of running the GPOs back into the case through the same single wire (DB-25 I think). My question is why did you opt to use the Power/I2C connector when you could have powered the unit right through the DB-9? You still could have put a switch inline, right?

babber
LCD!

Post by babber »

I chose to power the display through the 3 pin header as, if memory serves correctly, you have to solder a jumper on the pcb. I'd rather not do that. Using the supplied power pins made more sense. I dont use the GPOs so I cant comment on that. Ideally, i should have used a switch that isolates both + and ground lines.

Babber

WhyPush
LCD Geek

Post by WhyPush »

I looked closer and see what you mean about soldering the circuit. Went to Radio Shack (US) today to get the parts to try my idea. I'll post what I've done then it's completed. Unfortunatly, until I get my tax return, or the business loan comes through, no digital camera for me...

WhyPush
LCD Geek

Post by WhyPush »

BTW, in the US, WalMart has these $2 8x10" picture frames with black plastic frames and glass inserts that have ground edges. I haven't found the best way to cut through the glass yet, so I went out and bought some pre-cut 8x10" plexiglass at Home Depot (hardware store) and it fits in perfectly! Time to make the external mounts... :smile: Looks like a custom holder/stand may be necessary depending on how you want to disply it.
---------------<br>
WhyPush<br>
WhyPush.com

dj619gior
LCD?

Post by dj619gior »

WhyPush wrote:BTW, in the US, WalMart has these $2 8x10" picture frames with black plastic frames and glass inserts that have ground edges. I haven't found the best way to cut through the glass yet, so I went out and bought some pre-cut 8x10" plexiglass at Home Depot (hardware store) and it fits in perfectly! Time to make the external mounts... :smile: Looks like a custom holder/stand may be necessary depending on how you want to disply it.
When you say its precut is it flat or put togehter so I can just slide my Lcd right in there?