Serial Bracket for the VFD 2x20?

LK/ELK/VK/PK/OK/MX/GLK/EGLK/GVK/GLT Series

Moderators: Henry, Mods

sygyzy
LCD Geek

Post by sygyzy »

Hi. I noticed that on the accessories page there is an item that is basically a female serial port on a PCI bracket. You connect one end to the back of the LCD and then use a cable from the bracket to your serial port in back.

I was wondering if there was a similar solution for the 2x20 VFD I want to get?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: sygyzy on 2002-01-28 22:46 ]</font>

Henry
OMNIPRESENT
OMNIPRESENT

Post by Henry »

Henry J.
President
Matrix Orbital

sygyzy
LCD Geek

Post by sygyzy »

No. I actually meant a PCI bracket like this:

-4BR Serial Cable

Description: -4BR serial cable for the GLK12232-25, GLK12232-25SM

-------------
Is there one for the VFD 2x20?

Henry
OMNIPRESENT
OMNIPRESENT

Post by Henry »

Well, the bracket is made for the -4BR LCDs and the GLK12232-25 and GLK12232-25-SM... are you looking for a -4BR bracket that will hae a 9pin serial end instead of a 4 pin header?
Henry J.
President
Matrix Orbital

sygyzy
LCD Geek

Post by sygyzy »

I'd like to get this VFD

http://www.matrixorbital.com/products/vk202-25.htm

Then have a wire run inside my computer to the PCI bracket, then have a patch cable run from the outside to my serial port. Does that make sense? I guess it does not matter what header it has...but I guess to answer your question - yes. I'd like a bracket just like the one above that will work with the VK202-25 V. So in that case I would need the 9 pin serial header since the VK202-25 V only has the 9 pin in back right?

sygyzy
LCD Geek

Post by sygyzy »

Henry? Any answers buddy?

Henry
OMNIPRESENT
OMNIPRESENT

Post by Henry »

well.. I looked.. and I have nothing for you... the bracket is custom made for the -4BR models... all I can recomend is dremeling out a blank insert for the cable to make it look nice.
Henry J.
President
Matrix Orbital

sygyzy
LCD Geek

Post by sygyzy »

Thanks Henry. I'll see what I can figure out.

Henry
OMNIPRESENT
OMNIPRESENT

Post by Henry »

Well... you can get the -4BR cable, buy a serial connector and solder it on... that would be easy enought to do!!!
Henry J.
President
Matrix Orbital

sygyzy
LCD Geek

Post by sygyzy »

I dont understand how the 4BR cable works? One end has the serial female in a pci bracket. Then there are wires. These connect to the back of the VFD, but I thought the VFD had a serial port? How would I connect the two? Are you saying I would have to cut open a seral cable and solder a head into the end of the 4BR cable and connect it to the VFD?

Edit: How is it done here?

http://www.matrixorbital.com/products/bvk202a.htm

Notice it is the 20x2 VFD and it uses the 4BR? If it is sold as a kit, it must be possible. I don't want the pc bay insert, I am getting the guide so I can put it in my Lian Li Case myself.

Edit: Could I have a kit made that is basically the one mentioned above except I won't need the fancy pc drive bay insert with the keyboard. I want to replace that with just the standard mounting kit. I assume this would be cheaper.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: sygyzy on 2002-01-30 13:15 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: sygyzy on 2002-01-30 13:20 ]</font>

Henry
OMNIPRESENT
OMNIPRESENT

Post by Henry »

the -4BR cable is a 4pin connector. On the displays that have the -4BR option, we remove the DB-9 connector and place a 4 pin header on it. If you don't get the whole -4BR kit, the LCD will have a db-9 connector, so if you get your self a male DB-9 connector, then get a -4BR cable, cut the pins off and solder on the male DB-9 connector to the end of the cable, you will be in business.
Henry J.
President
Matrix Orbital

sygyzy
LCD Geek

Post by sygyzy »

Getting a serial head should not be tough. i am a bit worried about wiring the -4BR to it though. Can you give me a diagram or some sort of illustration so I can see which colored wires go where?

Henry
OMNIPRESENT
OMNIPRESENT

Post by Henry »

Black Pin #5
Green Pin #2
Orange Pin #3
Henry J.
President
Matrix Orbital

sygyzy
LCD Geek

Post by sygyzy »

That's it! 3 Wires? Does the wire bundle in the 4BR have more than three? If so do I just leave the others hanging unconnected? Can I still use the floppy cable power connector with the 4BR bracket? Hmm, also, can I see a diagram of a seral connector (I assume male is the one I'll be soldering) so I can know which is pin 1, 2, 3 etc

Henry
OMNIPRESENT
OMNIPRESENT

Post by Henry »

Yes, 3 wires... Ground, Rx and Tx... why have more :smile: Yes you can use a floppy cable to power the LCD BUT IT HAS TO BE A MODDIFIED ONE...

Ground Pin 5
Green Pin 2
Orange Pin 3
Henry J.
President
Matrix Orbital